I’m terribly late to the party but hey, is there really a precise time where we’re supposed to be talking about great books? Nope, unless that precise time is “always”. I am not going to put them in any particular order. Each book has his own particularities and each book was a real pleasure to read.
All in all, I can say that I’ve had a really great reading year. If I look back to my 2017 resolutions and challenges, I failed miserably though. I am not upset about it because I simply came to the conclusion that challenges and TBRs are just not a thing for me. I am a moody reader who ends up picking up new books on a whim so I can’t ever follow a list. I don’t see how this is a bad thing especially now that I ended up with so many favourites. I also learned a bit more about my taste and loved how me giving up on the Goodreads challenge made me not focus on the number but on the quality.
Since I also read lots of great graphic novels, I’ll probably make a post about them as well as my favorite shows. I watch an unhealthy amount of shows but they’re awesome, I can’t help it.
Without further ado, here are my favorite reads of 2017:
- THE UNSEEN WORLD by Liz Moore. I came across it while watching a few Booktube videos. This book has received A LOT of hype but it totally deserves it. Liz Moore did an amazing job at creating the characters, giving them depth and wrapping up the story in a magnificent way.
- THE NAME OF THE WIND by Patrick Rothfuss. Is this my first adult fantasy book? I can’t say for sure really but I don’t remember any that I’ve read before. I can’t wait to read the sequel to this book. It is brilliant and I don’t think I can do it justice by just talking about briefly. Go read it!
- WORDS IN DEEP BLUE by Cath Crowley. This book made me develop a new opinion about YA. I stopped reading the genre for a while because somehow most books I picked up didn’t have a rich writing style which I’ve started to crave. It is a beautiful story that gave me an incredibly sweet idea. In the book, Henry, one of the main characters planned a trip around the world based on literary places to visit.
- ANIMAL FARM by George Orwell. Can’t believe it took me forever to get to this book. Always thought that 1984 was Orwell’s best work. This book proved me wrong.
- STAY WITH ME by Ayobami Adebayo. This isn’t just a 2017 favorite read but an all-time favorite. I was incredibly lucky to store an ARC of this book.
- BAD ROMANCE by Heather Demetrios. I can’t lie and say it wasn’t the cover that made me read this book. I was pleasantly surprised when I realized the book was amazing too. The actual content. I have to say that it is very triggering though and abuse is a very big part of this book. It is very emotional too.
- CRAZY RICH ASIANS by Kevin Kwan. This is very different from what I usually read. Very fun to read about rich people though, haha. It was very entertaining.
- BORN A CRIME by Trevor Noah. I don’t read lots of nonfiction but this was beautiful. Very fun and compelling! And this is coming from someone who doesn’t even like autobiographies/memoirs.
- BURIAL RITES by Hannah Kent. The moment I realized that this was based on a true story broke me. It took me a while to get into it but once I did, there was no turning back.
- THE FEMALE OF THE SPECIES. This is one of the last books I’ve finished in 2017 and also one of the best. It is powerful but also graphic. If you’re not into that, you might not enjoy it.
- THE FINAL EMPIRE by Brandon Sanderson. Another Fantasy favorite. I can’t tell you how much I’ve loved this book! It took me a while to get the magic system but once I did, I could not stop reading!
What about you? What are some of your favorite reads? Do you have any of these in your TBR?
I wish you all a happy new year with lots and lots of great reads!